Serving in the Oregon Eugene Mission

Monday, March 7, 2016

March 7, 2016
2/29 - 3/7
Lesson with Joe and all his crazy thoughts that go every which way. We go in there and we try to teach him but every time, he goes off on at least a 5 to 10 minute tangent about random stuff and we have to try to pull him back down to where we were talking before. But he is doing good and he is progressing pretty well! He has a strong desire to change and so he is doing the things we are asking him todo. He is a fun guy and always keeps us on our toes.
Also this week I was able to think a lot about how my study is going and I feel like it was been slacking. I have tried to look at it and see what is different and why it doesn't feel the same. I don't know what is different yet besides maybe I didn't have such a huge desire to learn. I want to learn so much but I think I just don't know where to start sometimes. I want to know all I can about the gospel and how to better teach it and how I can help people understand it better. I decided to try writing down stuff during my studies but that didn't help me as much as I wanted. I still had the problem of ( just like dad and Tyler) I get so tired when I read. Like I can be super energized but once I start reading, I feel like I tell me brain, "ok go to sleep now" and then the bobbing starts and the heavy eyes and all that good stuff. But I fight through it every day and hope that one day I will be able to just read and maybe even enjoy reading even more.
So for service this week while we were at the kitchen place, me and elder Dopp got the great privilege of taking all the meat off the turkeys they had. Haha! It was a lot of cutting! He pulled the meat off the bones and I would cut it into bite size pieces. It took us a while. It was funny because when we got home we both were SO tired! (Did you know that turkey makes your tired! That's why every one gets tired on thanksgiving! Crazy right!) and so when we got home we were just super super tired! We both kinda crashed on the ground! It was really funny!
Also for service this week we went to a pear farm and did some work there and that was fun! I need to be nicer to myself though and learn that it is ok to just sit and watch sometimes. Our assignment was to rake up all the sticks from when they pruned the trees. So I was dumb and I just did it even though I knew it was probably was going to hurt me but I have a hard time stopping myself when I see there is work to be done and no one is really doing it. So I just did it. I didn't hurt super bad right after so I thought I was getting stronger (and I probably am but I am also still very weak) and I just have been sore this week from it. But it was a lot of fun! I got to work in the sun and i got to listen to a couple conversion stories of the people in my group that I was working with and just talk about things that only missionaries would talk about! Like people they are teaching and how working in the vineyard and comparing it to Jacob 5 and stuff like that! It was really fun!
And then we had service again and this was for a man who's mom was in the hospital and he needed to build a ramp for her to get into the house immediately. So we went over and helped him and it was a little tender mercy for me! It reminded me of back home with dad on Saturday mornings when we would work on little projects or build something. After a while of not being useful and just standing around because I really was no help (I could lift or move anything that they were working with... So I just kinda stood around with a couple of other missionaries. But then I found a job that I thought I could do! Sanding (with a belt sander of course) and so I started sanding away and making this hand railing. And it was really cool because the guy kept saying "just do it like you were making it for your mom" and so I did! I took it to heart and I was thinking of mom and how she would like to have her hand rail feel and look. So it was really fun. I got to feel close to both mom and dad.
So something very unique happened this week. Elder Dopp went into a English area for an exchange and then a English elder came here with me.... Wow! It was a bit crazy! I tried as hard as I could to talk to as many English speaking people that day and it was kinda hard. I still did a ok amount of Spanish and that really surprised! I was able to kinda communicate with the people and say what I was trying to say! So that made me pretty happy and I was also able to see my growth. It was an answer to some of my prayers. That I would be able to see my growth and feel like I was doing ok. And God does His works in mysterious was! I feel a little more comfortable with teaching now and also with just talking to people. I am so thankful for all of my growing experience.
We had ZTM this week and it was pretty good! One thing that really stuck out to me was something that the sisters taught. And that was honesty. They shared the 13th article of faith and I was thinking about how honesty kinda is the gateway to a lot of other attributes. When you're honesty, you have integrity, you have trust from other people, you and true in all your dealing with your fellow men. I was really impressed with this and I thought to myself that it is so important to be honest not only in word but also in action and in deed. I need to be honest in who I am. I am not Elder Peters and then sometimes I am just Michael peters. I need to make them into the same person. I need to be honest in how I present myself to people. So I enjoyed it and I am hoping to be able to better understand who I am and how I act.
I had sacrament in English today for the first time in almost 5 months and it was awesome! I understood 100% of what went on and I was able to sing all the hymns and know exactly what was going on! It was pretty cool! But I also really love sacrament meeting in Spanish! I may not be able to understand everything that is said but I can understand what I feel better. I am learning to better head and listen to the Holy Ghost!




Love you all! 
Elder Peters
I also found this little bittie tie at one of the elders apartment and I decided I needed to Embrace my Irish background and summon my inner leprechaun!

Building the deck day!

I think these were the most expensive things I have ever wore on my face! (Oakley) I felt pretty cool with these things on! Oh also dad guys what wee are driving! A Nissan frontier! It was pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment